Header Ads

How Does Norton Ghost Work?

Does anyone out there really know how Ghost 9.0 does its saves? I ask because of some things I've observed while using it. It just makes me immensely curious. Observation #1: Ghost's speed. Ghost certainly isn't doing a regular copy. It works much too quickly to be doing a 'logical' copy of my system's directory structure and files. Observation #2: Ghost is 'quiet.' By 'quiet' I mean that there's no rapid-fire, high-speed movement of the disk drive's heads on either the drive being saved, nor on the destination drive. In contrast, with a normal directory/file copy, there's considerable head movement as the disk refers to the FAT, the directory entries, and the files themselves, I presume. Observation #3: You shouldn't remove Ghost from your System Tray. Thinking I could improve my system's performance a tad and because I didn't see a reason for Ghost to run in the System Tray at all times, I simply removed the Ghost shortcut from my Startup folder. How much that helped, if at all, I do not know. If you do prevent Ghost from running at all times, this is what happened to me. When I tried to run Ghost from my Start/Program menu, although the program promptly started, almost all the normal function buttons you'd normally see did not appear. I also got an error message like ''Failure to Connect.'' The only function button that appeared was labeled ''Connect.'' After re-connecting (I don't know what Ghost is 'connecting' to), I was able to use Ghost. However, when I tried to run just an Incremental Backup (just the new/modified files), Ghost did another Baseline Backup instead. From this last observation, this tells me that Ghost needs to run at all times in order to keep track of which files are changing. Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks. For more info please click link below: http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/how-does-norton-ghost-work-158212/You can Download Norton Ghost From Here

No comments